Open this in UX Builder to add and edit content
Eden Project Workshop
Published: 2nd March 2017
Written by: James Marr
Build a bamboo bike at the Eden Project – and take part in a challenging ride
We are offering a unique opportunity to join the Bamboo Bicycle Club at the Eden Project in Cornwall from May 4-6 to make your own bicycle from bamboo and then join the Eden Classic cycle event on May 7.
Cornwall is famous for its exotic varieties of bamboo and Eden has some striking examples outside and inside its world-famous Rainforest and Mediterranean Biomes. Bamboo Bicycle Club is a London-based social enterprise that has been running for four years. Its team of experts teaches people to build their very own custom bicycle frame using bamboo. The bikes are used for regular commutes, racing, off-roading and travelling around the world.
The Eden Project will be hosting the Club for an exclusive workshop within sight of the Biomes.
Participants will learn how to build their own bicycle frame onsite, beginning with initial bamboo selection and cutting, right through to fitting the wheels. Participants will also have free admission to the Eden Project and the Eden Classic sportive, a mass participation event taking riders on a choice of three routes from Eden to the stunning Cornish coast and countryside.
Two-day frame build which includes:
- Health and Safety, how to build safely
- Custom designed frame for all participants making sure the bike is right for you
- How to set up a bicycle frame building jig and learning the concept behind building a frame
- Selecting bamboo tubing and learning how to cut and shape
- Demonstration of cutting and creating a mitered join between the bamboo canes.
- Correct alignment of frame
- Working with glues and learning how to join bamboo
- Finishing and removing from bicycle jig
Additional 1-day workshop
- Frame preparation for component fitting
- Tuition in how to turn a bicycle frame into a bicycle
- Final riding and testing
Cost of Workshop
Cost of three-day frame build workshop including all materials and tools – £650 inc VAT
We are offering a frame build – other components (wheels, handlebars etc) are not included. You can recycle components from your existing bike (wheels, handlebars etc) or you can buy new components. We can advise on what to buy or can source the components for you.
Provided by the Eden Project, staying in basic, self-catering farmhouse accommodation onsite.
Free participation in – http://www.edenproject.com/visit/whats-on/eden-classic-sportive-cycling-event
To take part e-mail – [email protected]